55. When should parents inform the school district of their choice of a standardized test or alternative evaluation method?

No date is specified in the regulation but it is recommended that parents provide this information by the end of the third quarterly reporting period.

56. When is it necessary for parents to obtain the consent of the school district if they are using a norm-referenced achievement test for the annual assessment?

a. If the parents are having the student tested at a registered nonpublic school, the consent of the public school district is not required.

b. If the parents are having the student tested at the public school, the testing should be done at the time of the school's own testing program, unless a mutually agreeable alternative is reached. The district should give the parents several weeks' notice of the dates for this testing.

c. If the parents are having the student tested at another location, the school district is required to review, and (if in agreement) consent to the parents' selection of the test administrator.

57. Are students instructed at home required to take any State tests such as the PEP tests or RCTs?

No. These tests may be used to meet annual assessment requirements, but home-instructed students are not required to take them.

58. Which State tests suffice for an annual assessment?

Any State tests designed to evaluate individual student achievement are acceptable. State tests designed to evaluate a school's program (Program Evaluation Tests) are not appropriate for this purpose.

59. If parents instructing their children at home choose to use PEP tests or RCTs as a part of their annual evaluation, should the school district include their scores with the scores of the public school students?


60. Can parents of a fourth-grader opt for an alternative form of evaluation?

Yes. Alternative forms of evaluation may be used every other year for pupils in grades 4 though 8. Thus grade 4 could be the first year in this pattern.

61. Must the district administer tests during the school year to home-instructed students?

No. The district is not obligated to administer any tests unless the student is referred to the Committee on Special Education for evaluation.

62. May a student instructed at home take Regents examinations?

Yes. If a request is made school officials are encouraged to admit a student receiving home instruction to Regents examinations. If a Regents examination has a lab requirement, the student may be admitted to the examination if there is evidence that the student has met the lab requirement. The IHIP, quarterly reports and/or verification from the student's teacher can provide such evidence.

Regents examinations may only be administered at the public school or registered nonpublic school because they are secure examinations. The test results can be helpful to the student and also to public school officials.

63. If parents want to use one of the standardized tests listed in the home instruction regulation but not used by the school district, who order: and who pays for it?

If the parent chooses to use a test that has not been ordered for use in the public schools of the district, the school district, upon request of the parent, would order the test. The parent would, however, pay for the cost of procuring it.

64. May a parent administer a standardized test or prepare the written narrative of assessment?

Yes. With the consent of the superintendent, a parent may perform these actions.

65. What is a home instruction peer review panel and what is its function£nction under the regulations?

A home instruction peer review panel is an advisory group of home instructing parents who prepare a written narrative of a student's achievement. Members of such a panel may be chosen by the parent with the consent of the superintendent.

66. What action should be taken by the district if parents do not submit any evaluation?

If phone calls or letters do not elicit the information, the district should notify parents by registered mail that the evaluation is due and set a reasonable date for its submission. If the information is not forthcoming, the district is without evidence that instruction has been taking place. In that case, the district would be obligated to report the case to the central registry as a case of suspected educational neglect.

Return to
Revised Questions & Answers Index